WLP Wants To Know

A few things came up this week that I would like to ask my readers/followers opinion on.

Let’s start with LKH’s latest blog entry.

In it she states that she wears certain clothing to affect her mood whilst writing. Okay thats fine & dandy. She goes on to say that the only other skirts she owns are fetish and club skirts. (um) And that when she put her jeans back on the next day, she felt down again. (another um). She’s put on fetish wear, lingere and even worn a GUN while she writes to get into character. (ummmmmmm!!!) I’m not even going to finish the rest, because frankly it creeped me right out. On so many levels I don’t even know which ones to talk about.

I understand the need to get invested in your character, but the emotional extremes LKH is talking about on top of the need to wear a gun whilst writing to get into character…all I can say is WTF. Now most everyone has said LKH/Anita are one in the same, does she really wonder why? Her lines are constantly blurred. It’s one this to get into the characters head, but to become the character……case in point, read some of the comments on this post over at Dear Author from 2007. I know I am going to take some heat from the die-hard Anita fans, and thats fine. Just remember this is MY OPINION on the whole thing. I am not attacking her or her writing, I just found it disturbed me a bit and I had to blog it out to realize why it bothered me so much.

To be honest, I’m still bothered and I still am not 100% sure why it bothered me so much. But I can’t be the only one who finds that blog post a bit weird, am I?

Do you really think all authors “dress up” to write and get into character? I can tell you, based on two that I asked before I posted..no. They do not. Once again, I am not saying it’s wrong. I don’t live with the woman, I don’t read the books anymore, so in the grand scheme of things..I really don’t give a s%&^ what she wears. But like I said, I have to blog it out because I really don’t think anyother author dresses up to get into character.

What do you think?

Comments
  • Tiffany @ Kindle Vixen January 21, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Yeah, it seems quite obvious to me she considers Anita to be very much herself, I don’t know why she bothers to deny it. I wish I could give up the Anita series but I feel like I need to know what happens! I will however be sticking to library books as there is too big a chance the book will suck balls.

Did you ask Mark if he dresses up? I can see him totally getting into Amaanda’s shoes to write….. ;)

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm

ROTFLMAO!! One of us has to ask him, cause you know the answer would be pee worthy.

I just don’t understand her, not that it is my job to do so..but shit. Seriously? People find this normal?

• Robin January 21, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I agree with you. She is taking to the extreme. I know Authors will get “into” the characters state of mind, but actually dressing up like the character to write it…..It’s either something she said to get a reaction or she is seriously f’ed up!

• Jen D. January 21, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Her behavior is without a doubt eccentric. I don’t think she qualifies for bat shit crazy though. It’s probably some publicity stunt to get people to talk. What’s the saying? Any publicity is good publicity…

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I can see that, but with her i’m not so sure its about the PR

• Jackie Burris January 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Natasha, I have been a fan since day one when found a copy of Blue Moon by LKH in 2002, however she is kind of out there with the denial of thinking she is Anita Blake character and then posting that dressing up as Anita to aid in writing the books. Not sure how much this counts as someone who needs to seek mental help or just laugh it off and say oh well she is an artistic person and as long as the books are worth reading who cares how the
    muse is found!! No in short do not think this is normal, but maybe it is normal for her. LOL
    I have heard of actors and actresses who stay in the characters clothing and voice used during the entire shooting of a movie, but do not necessarily think that is normal either!
    jackie b central texas

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2010 at 4:58 pm

LMFAO I loved your in short, made me giggle Jackie

• stella Price January 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Im laughing my ass off right now. the woman thinks she IS anita, and the idea of her in fetish wear is beyond the worst nightmare i have ever had. Theres a reason why I stopped reading anita, and only read merry. its because she doesnt identify with merry as closely and she cant ruin it for me.

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Coffee straight out the freaking nostrils on to the screen. Do you have any idea how many people are afraid to type what you just did, for FEAR this woman will come and get them? Stella, you ARE my hero! LMFAO

• Ale January 21, 2010 at 5:16 pm

II do think it is creepy. I mean, everyone has different ways of expressing themselves, but it seems a bit to the extreme. I do understand getting into the characters shoes, but all you need to do is get your mind in it, not your whole body. That is a weird fetish… My mind is now wondering to the weirdest places trying to understand her reasoning, so I will stop this short because I don’t want to start dressing up for my characters- LOL!

• Ale January 21, 2010 at 5:17 pm

BTW… Loved the blog! hehe

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm

ROTFLMAO!!! It took me a solid hour to post this, cause my brain refused to type what I was thinking which was WTF!

• Ale January 21, 2010 at 5:30 pm

HAHA! I understand why… Be careful… you might end up wearing faery wings next time you blog :-P -LMAO

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2010 at 5:30 pm

LMFAO!!! One can only hope!

• Mardel January 22, 2010 at 2:56 am

You mean you’re not wearing them now? disappointment!

• Ale January 21, 2010 at 5:37 pm

if you do that one day…. please take a picture and share… I promise I will not send you to the shrink, or blog about you… just laugh a bit ;-)

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2010 at 5:39 pm

LOL!! I promise! I need to get a pair of those, it’d be great!

• J. January 21, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Should I send you the daughter’s old ones? I even painted them black with sparkles.
        LMAO!

• Ale January 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I bet that would look awesome-> black with sparkles= Wicked :-P

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2010 at 6:35 pm

ROTFLMAO

• J. January 21, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Well that sucked up an hour of my time, looking her up and stuff. Thanks :O

• K.C. Smokin' Hot Books January 21, 2010 at 7:24 pm

What a hoot. Honestly if we didn’t have crazy author’s like this we wouldn’t have UF or PNR. I just love when authors show their crazy cat side. The gun thing is certainly interesting, what if it went off? Fetish skirts at her age? Okay I still try and cram my arse into skinny jeans.

The only time an author has really bothered me with her personal views/behavior is when I found out she thought that being gay was wrong and had a rehabilitation link offered via Jesus Christ. She is certainly allowed her views, but it really rubbed me the wrong way & since I enjoy many authors that write m/m it really turned me off.

Dearauthor pic were hilarious!!!

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2010 at 7:26 pm

You totally have to DM me and tell me which author that was!! LOL!

The fetish skirts and her age hit me first to be honest, she’s a mother!!

• Miranda January 22, 2010 at 9:51 am

I tried really hard to keep my fingers from typing but I have to reply to this…

“fetish skirts at her age… she’s a mother”

Um, how do you think she got to BE a mother?

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 22, 2010 at 10:13 am

Ouch. Regardless, I wouldn’t want my Mother dressed in chains and fishnets.

• Miranda January 22, 2010 at 10:54 am

Ha! Ok, you’re right on that one… Now I am going to concentrate really hard on NOT thinking about my mother… harder…

• The Mighty Buzzard January 21, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Wait, when did we start expecting artists to be normal? A lot of the most creative ones have tended to live on the very edge of, or even run screaming past, needing to be locked up for their own safety because they don’t exactly see the world in the same way a normal person does.

In any case, it doesn’t seen any weirder to me than athletes wearing the same stank shirt every game without washing it or always cutting the cards shallow for luck in poker. All of the above are stupid and pointless, except that if your thinking they’re useful actually makes them help then they’re not really stupid and pointless.

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2010 at 11:52 pm

LOL very true, but you had to admit this is more abnormal than anyother authors.

• The Mighty Buzzard January 22, 2010 at 12:18 am

True, she is a little old to still have any serious selection of clubbing clothes.

I think the gun’s different impacts as a fashion accessory must be cultural though. Guns just aren’t as big of a deal in the mid-west US; it only warranted a Spock eyebrow and a smirk from me.

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 22, 2010 at 12:22 am

LMFAO! I just can’t see seriously sitting down at my computer with a gun holstered at my side.

• Ale January 22, 2010 at 12:35 am

I’m sorry I’m interrupting (I just saw the emails), but what screams at me is not the fact that she has those clothes, I just do not think that you should be posting what you do or what you have like that. I get what she means. Maybe I am just not used to that… who knows? Lets just say that I think it should be more of a private ritual :-P

• Moonsanity January 21, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Man, I’ve been wanting to get here all night but had to finish a series review! Let’s see- Ya know I think LKH thinks of herself as more of a celebrity than a lot of authors do. I’m not sure why, but this sounds like more of a PR stunt to me. Then again, she just may do it..who knows? I only started reading the Anita books last summer, and I liked them. I was a little freaked by the later books, but I still liked the characters. Since followering her on Twitter I think she is a little odd. I’ll read all the Anita books til she stops, but I tried reading the Merry books and hated them. To be fair I did start with one out of order, but I thought the sex was WAY out there, worse than in the Anita books. Are they all like that?
    Oh, and I’m thinking she’s probably about my age (I’m 49) and you would not catch me dead in bondage stuff. My God, I can’t even wear skinny jeans. BAAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, Wicked, you’ve really been speaking your mind lately! What’s up next:)

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2010 at 11:54 pm

LOL I was just saying to KindleVixen today, it seems people only comment when I speak about authors/books as opposed to when I review! ha.

I only got through one Merry book, I couldn’t stand it. Anita series bugs me because she started as a virgin mary type and basically turned into a hoochie. Too much sex not enough plot for me.

• Moonsanity January 22, 2010 at 12:22 am

Oh good, it wasn’t just me then. Thought I was missing something. The thing with Anita is that even when I got a little overwhelmed at the sex vs. plot I still found myself wanting to know what happened to characters I liked, but they also weren’t main characters that often so I would be disappointed. Does that even make sense? I think it’s my bedtime!

Oh, on my blog it’s almost the opposite. I post something that I think is cool and no one comments or just one person and then I’m like “OMG, was I the only one that thought that?”. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 22, 2010 at 12:30 am

ROTFLMAO it’s bizarre what makes people post isn’t it?

I am the same, I want to know what happens to the characters, but I skim the sex now cause its the same shit with different people.

• The Mighty Buzzard January 22, 2010 at 12:29 am

That got on my nerves for a while there too but the last book or two have been more about the ass-kicking than the ass-grabbing. Just as well too since that’s the only place that the character Anita gets to show any depth.

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 22, 2010 at 12:31 am

The last book reminded me of the first couple and i liked that, but if it goes downhill again..im done.

• Honoria Ravena January 25, 2010 at 11:48 am

Not enough plot? There’s no plot, and that drives me nuts, because I used to LOVE the Anita Blake series. I still love everything before Cerulean Sins.

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 25, 2010 at 12:10 pm

LMFAO the last one was better too, like old skool Anita.

• Honoria Ravena January 25, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I never got to finish it. My friend joined the Navy, and so she wanted to pack up all her things before she left and I had to give her the book back. Besides, lately its taking me MONTH to finish a book. Been in kind of a slump reading wise lately. I do know that I started reading Blood Noir, and it was okay, and then I skipped ahead and saw sex, sex, SEX, and just couldn’t go on reading the book. Kinda weird, considering I’m a romance writer. But most romance books have a plot, and the sex scenes aren’t one right after the other.

• Mardel January 22, 2010 at 3:02 am

C’mon – you know she just likes to dress up. She’s using Anita as an excuse! :)

One time I read a post by her about being in a restaurant, how nervouse she was because she DIDN’T HAVE HER GUN WITH HER. She wrote about how even sitting with her back to the wall didn’t help her nervousness. WTF? I’m glad she didn’t have her gun with her, what if she decided she was in danger and started shooting people? The other scary thing is, she has a daughter in the house, so she puts her gun on while she’s writing to get in character? Hope her daughter doesn’t surprise her while she’s “deep in character” and writing.

• Jenna Maclaine January 22, 2010 at 6:35 am

As an author I think there’s a little of us in all our characters. One might have our strengths, another our insecurities… another our general dislike of bats. But I’ve never felt the need to to anything special to “get into character.” I know who they are. Then again, I’m not writing more than one series at a time and I don’t have the multitude of different characters that she has, so who knows? I will say that I cannot imagine sitting at my desk all day in fetish-wear. I learned at Dragon*Con last year that fishnet tights were not made for sitting on! The thoughts of sitting here for hours in vinyl, chains and buckles…. eep! No thanks. Nope, it’s sweats or jammies and my fuzzy pink slippers, no make-up, hair tied back…. but, hey, if y’all want to imagine I’m writing Cin Craven while wearing full leather and stiletto boots, be my guest. Just promise me you’ll shave about 10 pounds off the middle while you’re at it! :D

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 22, 2010 at 10:11 am

ROTFLMAO! I figure most writers don’t dress in character, though Mark Henry told KindleVIxen & I, he totally goes out in public dressed as Amanda..soo..LOL

• strange_candy January 22, 2010 at 9:47 am

Anita books were my introduction into the Paranormal/UF world, and I really like(d) the books. I have all of them and will keep reading. But, I agree the sex has become a little out of control, and the fact that she dresses up rubs me the wrong way, personally I think its kinda creepy……so many authors have said that their characters are nothing like them, yet LKH seems to have to ‘be’ Anita to write…..I could understand if she went to a shooting range and learnt how to handle a gun to get an idea, but wearing one, not so much.
    Maybe she should lay off the fetish wear and try and steer Anita back to, um, nicer ground…..the amount of men she is getting a bit crazy……

I like this discussion, seeing everyones opinions is good.

• Miranda January 22, 2010 at 10:04 am

As a reader, it doesn’t matter to me what an author does IRL. Sometimes it even turns me off from their books because it breaks the character in my head. Therefore, I really don’t like author head shots on my books either. For some reason that sexy gritty heroine loses her edge when I realize the-lady-that-sits-next-to-me-in-church created her.

LKH role playing Anita Blake is all fine and dandy except she is obviously not trying hard enough. That is in NO WAY the correct grip for holding a gun. Therefore I would assume it is all a publicity stunt or simply a way for her to get her own rocks off.

I’m glad she is having fun with her career and more power to her with her self image and the fetish wear – :D One can only assume she is also a swinger.

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 22, 2010 at 10:12 am

ROTFLMAO!! The lady in church comment is one of my new favorites!

• Tiah January 23, 2010 at 2:16 am

How in the hell am I suppose to take her next book seriously when all I can imagine is her sitting in her office with her fetish shit on packing heat while typing?

BRAIN BLEACH! BRAIN BLEACH!

• Honoria Ravena January 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Nope, I don’t dress like my characters. But I talk to them and my muse, who is a royal b**ch that I don’t get along with. Is that really normal? For a writer maybe, but for the rest of the human race? Not so much. I haven’t found a writer yet that wasn’t a little weird. And while I think dressing up like the character is a little weird (usually I’m in pajamas when I write), I have to side with whatever gets the job done. If it helps her finish the novel *shrugs*.