Authors & Music

I have spent way too much time on Twitter this week talking with authors about music. You all know by now I am a huge music fan, maybe even more so over books. So it’s not surprise my favorite interview questions with authors are about music. For example, Dakota Cassidy has a really bad obsession with Barry Manilow. Honestly, it’s slightly stalkerish. Her boyfriend bought her tickets to see Barry & this is what happened.

Two nights ago, she tweet sang Barry to me…I was afraid. I love Dakota but I do not share her love for all things Barry, unless her name is Lola.

In February, I had a big long convo with Mark Henry about music. It ended with him sending me a GIANT list of bands that I had to listen too. I swear to you, Mark is my musical twin. His taste is so out there it mimics mine, as does our friend Synde of Cemetery Cat Designs. If we get started on music, it will go on and on and on, & include a shit-ton of tweeted YouTube Vids. Such as my favorite Chemical Brothers video, Hey Girl Hey Boy (Click Here, Can’t Embed.)

Stacia Kane had a great idea for Unholy Ghosts & made a playlist that you can download to go along with the book! Love it!

Laurell K. Hamilton is always tweeting about who shes listening to while writing.

Nicole Peeler got me hooked on Editors a few months back

My BIGGEST pet peeve has to be the over-use of one of my all time favorite cover songs, Running Up That Hill by Placebo. I cannot tell you the number of times I have seen this song mentioned in books, TV shows & movies. Please authors STOP killing this song for me, PLEASE!

I love when authors include playlists in their books, I wish more would do it.

So WLP wants to know, what song do you think relates to a book you’ve read?

Do you like when authors include playlists in their books?

Comments
  • stella Price May 28, 2010 at 10:14 am

I have been doing play lists for our books since we started. In fact, up until about 4 months ago, visitors to our website could request a Playlist CD from us to go with the work (I discontinued it because with MP3′s and Itunes, you can download the songs your self and Im all about that.)

We also have on top of book play lists, character play lists and and mood lists… Im all about the music as I write and every time we start a new book I spend the better part of the day after outlining picking songs that will go with what we are trying to do emotionally and scene wise. Its a lot of fun…

Though you wont ever find any country in our play lists… you will find some creedence… LOL.

• Wicked Lil Pixie May 28, 2010 at 10:19 am

CCR is the shit ;) I looove that you do that, but you are a music whore like I am! lol

• stella Price May 28, 2010 at 10:22 am

MUAHAHAHA> well yes. And you know how I feel about the whole “writing to the top 40″ crap. If thats what your characters are into, then thats cool… but the less 50 cent, Beyonce and Justin timberlake I see in a play list gives your book more street cred IMHO.

And CCR is the shit. LOVE them…

• Wicked Lil Pixie May 28, 2010 at 10:24 am

I hate the top 40 crap AND the overuse of a song, I swear to you I have seen Placebo mentioned 5 times in books I’ve read this year. Add to that it being on Vampire Diaries (last episode I watched I was so irritated! LOL)

Boyfriends fam are HUGE CCR fans, so is my Mom…so I grew up blasting them ;)

• stella Price May 28, 2010 at 10:26 am

Im not guilty of the Placebo song… LOL.. And im not a fan so you can bet your safe from it on our end… HEH.

• Wicked Lil Pixie May 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

LMFAO its like the radio, i don’t listen to it cause they always ruin a song I like by over playing the hell out of it. Drives me INSANE.

• Naomi May 28, 2010 at 10:15 am

I usually make up a playlist if I’m working on a novel, but I find myself coming back to the same bands over and over, so the playlists tend not to vary a whole lot! I like seeing who authors write to – I love that Rachel Caine tends to include playlists in her Weather Warden books, and Yasmine Galenorn puts them on her website too. It doesn’t necessarily link the music to the books for me, but it’s all part of the creative process, and that fascinates me.

• Wicked Lil Pixie May 28, 2010 at 10:20 am

Yeah, Rachel got me thinking about this cause she does it in her Morganville Vamps books too…shes guilty of the Placebo song! LOL

• Amy S May 28, 2010 at 10:17 am

I enjoy a rather broad spectrum of music and love when authors include playlists because it oft times presents a whole new world of music that I might not have found on my own!

• SusiSunshine May 28, 2010 at 10:17 am

I actually love to read what authors heard while writing a book. I love to listen to music while reading so why shouldn’t I take the ones the author listened, too.
    Sometimes when I hear a certain song I immediately remember the book I read while I heard that song for the first time. My brain can be strange.

• Wicked Lil Pixie May 28, 2010 at 10:21 am

LOL mine is just as strange, I always put music to scenes I’ve read “Oh this would have been awesome in XX book”

• tori aka ggs_closet May 28, 2010 at 10:19 am

I like when authors include playlists in their books. I helps me get a better feel for the book. I also like when they include recipes. :)

• Wicked Lil Pixie May 28, 2010 at 10:21 am

lmfao foodie! I think Stacia used to have recipes in the Demon books.

• Jen D. May 28, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I love discovering new music and artists through author playlists and/or other bloggers (I’m looking at you Pixie – i.e. How to Destroy Angels). One of my favorite authors, Kim Harrison, has a section on her website dedicated to music relating to her Hollows series. I discovered We Are Scientist, Red and Jem through her site.

• Wicked Lil Pixie May 28, 2010 at 3:42 pm

If you go to their site ASAP, you can put your email addy in for the free album download on June 1st ;)

• Dakota Cassidy May 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm

God, that was one of the best night’s of my life, bar none.. And I don’t stalk Barry at all. I’m not part of his fan group, I don’t write him letters, and I never even had his poster on my wall. I don’t love him like that.

So I’ll thank you to not turn my innocent joy of him into something dirty and unseemly, Missy!

I love Barry because he makes me smile–his songs have meaning in my life. I love Barry with reverence, not lust, with a sweet, gentle rush of emotions that could be labeled “still in 6th grade when you thought going out meant holding hands and sharing a carton of milk in the cafeteria.”

But I’d cut a bitch with her knitting needles if I could just get him to pick me from the audience to be the frickin’ Can’t Smile Without You girl.

Ahem–just sayin’ :)

• Wicked Lil Pixie May 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm

*slowly backs away from DC*

• The Queen B May 29, 2010 at 3:56 am

My sis, Jen, is a hugy Barry fan. She had her hubby take her to see him in Vegas a while back and she was soooooo happy. She has pics and momentos from that night up with all the fam pics in her house. LOL.

• Pamela "SpazP" May 28, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Dude! I had no idea Running Up That Hill was a Placebo song! Always thought it was Kate Bush :P I FREAKING LOVE THAT SONG. Thank you for edumacating me. I liked this post.

• Wicked Lil Pixie May 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm

It is chica, Placebo just covered it. I like their version better LOL

• Pamela "SpazP" May 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm

What a dink! It IS a Kate Bush song and Placebo did a cover :P Got it! The Kate Bush version is still one of my most favorite songs on the planet but this one isn’t too bad either. :P

• Pamela "SpazP" May 28, 2010 at 3:46 pm

000000 I’ve never seen this Hey Girl Hey Boy video! I like!

I DO like author playlists, it helps them give that extra sensory touch to us they were feeling when they were writing, and that’s cool.

• Wicked Lil Pixie May 29, 2010 at 10:03 am

That video is amazing, I miss when videos were out there like that.

• The Queen B May 29, 2010 at 4:01 am

I’m not a fan of author play lists or “who would you cast to be so and so” lists. Ugh.
    I listen to my own music that suits me and the book. You know I always go my own way, lol.
    One song that really stood out for me was Good Enough by Evanescence for Kate in the Kate Daniels series. Otherwise, I pick up certain songs along the way. I don’t like to feel that I HAVE to hear a certain song for a certain scene or character, ya know?
    I am a dork though, and kinda playlist my life. My whole life has like a soundtrack to it or I can’t function :P

• Wicked Lil Pixie May 29, 2010 at 10:05 am

Yeah you be weird! lol I like asking cast questions to certain authors, just to see if they see who I see as a character. But music I MUST know.

• Tara SG (25 Hour Books) June 2, 2010 at 2:21 am

I love when authors share playlists for books! To be honest, I rediscovered Muse after checking out Stephenie Meyer’s list for the Twilight books :) I wish more authors did this!

Hmmm… the most recent song that has reminded me of a book is “Shape Shifter” by the Local Natives which reminds me of “Shiver” by Maggie Stiefvater.