Interview With Michelle Rowen

Please help me welcome, once again my fellow Ontario Chica, Michelle Rowen!

WLP: Welcome back to WLP Michelle, thanks for agreeing to be harassed again. I hope you’ve recovered.

MR: Thanks! Yes, the last bandages came off just last week so I’m ready for more!

WLP: Can you tell us about Something Wicked?

MR: Certainly. Something Wicked is the second book in my Living in Eden trilogy following The Demon in Me about a woman named Eden Riley who is possessed every night by a sexy demon named Darrak. She endeavors to help him break his curse that keeps him bound to her side and to her body. In Something Wicked, a demonic pal from Darrak’s past shows up to help out. But when a demon wants to help, it’s not necessarily a good thing. Chaos, inevitably, ensues. Also trouble is brewing in the Malleus, the organization that battles the monsters in the human world, when another previous love interest of Eden’s has signed up to help rid the world of its many monsters.

WLP: Why did you decide to write about a character possessed with a demon?

MR: An excellent question. I feel that I am in the midst of what I will one day refer to as my “demon period” just as Picasso had his “blue period.” I got a ton of ideas that involve demons — YA, PNR, you name it.

Oh, you want me to answer instead of avoid the question? ;-) I think I’m fascinated, for some strange reason, by the struggle between good and evil that everyone has inside of them. Is evil born in us or is it a choice? Can we choose to be good, even if we’re evil by definition and expectation? Or vice versa? This is the theme that shows up in a lot of my work. And who better to struggle with this issue than a literal demon? Plunk him in a paranormal romance and he has the choice of working for the man (Satan) or doing whatever he can to protect the woman he loves. It’s an interesting tug of war. Other than this, I remember my original story trigger was watching part of Rosemary’s Baby and thinking… y’know, this could totally be a paranormal romance if we just change a few things up a bit…

WLP: Something Wicked introduces us to some new characters; do you think we’ll see more of Lucas?

MR: Yes, Eden and Darrak’s new next door neighbor Lucas will be an important element in the third book, That Old Black Magic. If I say any more, it would be a total spoiler for anyone who hasn’t read Something Wicked. But yes, more Lucas indeed.

WLP: I am a huge Darrak fan, if you could see anyone celeb play Darrak, who would it be?

MR: Thanks! I’m rather fond of the demon, myself. He was a character who defied celebrity definition for a very long time. My inspiration for him was a little piece from here and there. But recently, thanks to a reader’s recommendation, my mental inspiration for Darrak is now Ian Somerhalder who has both the looks and the wicked sense of humor to perfectly portray my favorite demon hero.

WLP: What about Eden, who would play her in a movie?

MR: I haven’t one ideal actress in mind, but from the crop of A-listers that are out right now, I think…hmm. No idea. I’m open to suggestion, though!

WLP: Would you be as calm as Eden, if you were possessed?

MR: She is rather calm, but she doesn’t really have much choice other than freaking out 24/7 about her predicament, which wouldn’t be all that much fun to read about. Eden is a realist and she deals with the hand she’s dealt. But no, I wouldn’t be anywhere near that calm. Luckily, I don’t believe in demonic possession in Real Life.

(Juliana Stone, WLP, Tiffany Clare & Michelle Rowen on Nov 14)

WLP: What is 2011 looking like for you writing wise?

MR: I’m going to be very busy, that’s for sure! Right now I’m working on That Old Black Magic, but will be following that up with two new YA’s (that, yes, have a demon in them, among other supernatural creatures) for Harlequin Teen. And I’m currently finalizing a deal for a couple other adult books I can’t talk about quite yet, but I think my loyal readers will be very happy to hear about them.

WLP: I know you love to read, so what has been your favorite book of 2010 so far?

MR: I do love to read, although I am an extremely picky reader and don’t always finish books that I start. I have to give special mention to two series that I vastly enjoyed this year — the Downside Ghosts books by Stacia Kane and the Otherkin books by Eve Silver. Both had three back-to-back-to-back releases this year and are definitely worth the read, in my opinion. I might at one time have said Mockingjay, but the more I think about that book the less I like it, which is disappointing since I adored the first two.

WLP: What scary movie scares Michelle?

MR: Considering that I love writing about monsters, I am not a big fan of horror movies. I’m easily scared. I’m still freaked out about The Ring and I absolutely refuse to watch Paranormal Activity or its sequel. *shivers*

WLP: And a total random question to end the interview…what one word in the English language do you hate or get grossed out by?

MR: Slacks. Or Crotch. Both are just vastly unpleasant words.

Michelle is offering up a copy of Something Wicked to one lucky Canadian/US winner.

Tell us what word YOU hate.

Contest Ends: Monday November 22, 2010

Comments
  • Vivien November 15, 2010 at 12:36 am

You know, the words slacks and crotch just made me think of cameltoe. I hate that word, it just makes me shudder. So I’ll go with that, since it’s the first that came to mind.

• RK Charron November 15, 2010 at 1:53 am

Hi :)
    Thank you for the fun & informative interview with Michelle & thanks to Michelle for sharing. THAT OLD BLACK MAGIC is an excellent title! & Yay! for more YA books too. (+ soon-to-be-revealed-more-books)
    Hmmm… one word I hate? … War.
    All the best,
    RKCharron

• tori aka ggs_closet November 15, 2010 at 9:24 am

Great interview. A word I’ve come to hate-moist

• Barbara November 15, 2010 at 10:08 am

Great, you’re all giving me new words to squirm to! Slurp and meal are my two biggest offenders, although now crotch is up there. I’m going with slurp though.

• Stephanie November 15, 2010 at 10:44 am

I hate the word “Canker.” But my favorite word is “snark” and Tori I have a friend who is totally skeeved by moist as well. You could start a club!
    I would love to be entered. Into the contest.

Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    Twitter: @fangswandsfairy

• Kelly (rissatoo) November 15, 2010 at 10:48 am

Word(s) I hate are obscenities. My least favorite of those is …
    Geez, as I went to write this, I found I could not make myself type out the entire word (though it’s only 4 letters). Begins and ends with “T”, with “wa” in the middle. Hate that word!

• MARIA DIAS November 15, 2010 at 11:01 am

my least fave word is cancer.

Michelle..looking forward to reading your next book!

• jax November 15, 2010 at 11:15 am

I hate the word puke. Or any of the words that mean the same thing. Hork is another bad one.

• Coley November 15, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Moist is right up there for me, too. Yuck. I also cannot stand the word turgid. Luckily, I don’t read a lot of books where that particular word features, but still, when it does show up…ick. There are, of course, others, but those two are enough to be getting on with.

• Barbara Elness November 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Phlegm and smegma – I really dislike those two words, they make me cringe.
    I’m enjoying seeing all the words that everyone is listing, some of them don’t bother me, others I really agree with.

• Deidre November 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Let’s see…..menstruate, menstruation, period, all are very dirty words. Hate the words, hate that time of the month. Have a happy period. Yeah, right.

deidre_durance at hotmail dot com

• Donna S November 15, 2010 at 11:46 pm

vomit and puke are at the top of my list

• Michele Powell November 17, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Fag. It sounds so cruel and angry.
    nedsped at verizon dot net

• SarahM November 18, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I HATE the word “snot” – ::shudders:: all sorts of wigged out right now just typing it! :-)

smaccall @ comcast.net

• JenM November 18, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Cockroach – it makes me shiver every time I hear it.

• AlinaD November 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Hi Michelle! The two words I hate the most are cancer, because it scares me, and why because I hear it so much from my kids all day, lol! Have a great day!

• Stacy (urbanFantasyInvestigations) November 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm

LICE uggh My daughter came home with it last year and everytime I hear someone mention that nasty word I feel sick and itchy

• Mariela November 18, 2010 at 3:24 pm

right now i hate the word Poop!! My daughter says that all the time! i dont know why she she says Poop for everything!

• Shawn November 18, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I have come to loathe the term “a lot”. People can’t seem to put the space between the “a” and “lot” and it becomes “alot”, which drives me nuts!

• Stephmartin71 November 18, 2010 at 9:36 pm

It’s amazing how words being spoken can mean so many things for each of us. Two very short words, probably not even “Webster” worthy words, which is used all the time by one of the guys we work with @ the lab. It comes with a duel punch to the gut along with an acuisitory meaning behind it. These 2 little words puts all 16 of us on edge everytime he says this ” Umm Huh”! Doesn’t look like much does it ? But when it’s 8 am and he walks in the door, the first thing out of his mouth is “umm Huh”, instead of saying goodmorning like normal people. “Umm Huh”! also comes with this creepy stare he gives with it. This blank stare is sorta like watching someone trying to process information in his head. Like whatever the group is talking about, we have some kind of big conspiracy thing going on. Little does he know we are plotting … to wrap those words around his OCD Neck. Obviously, he is not a good communicator but he is also not a good group participator. Boy, I feel better just sharing this with you :) who would have thought this would be good therapy? Thank you ;D

• Kim November 18, 2010 at 10:05 pm

My pet peeve is when people resort to text words instead of having real conversations–like they put LOL or OMG in ever sentence. It drives me crazy how we don’t have real conversations anymore. Just text messages :)
    Thanks for the opportunity!

• Julianna November 18, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I dislike “height” because an “th” sound is often added at the end. I suspect this is because it is often said with “width” and people just throw it on.

• Alexis November 22, 2010 at 5:03 pm

The word I most hate is..stupid. It is a pointless word and it is just insulting. I wish no one said that because it just degrades in it’s meaning. Oh, and thanks for holding this contest! :) I loved your first book and would love if I could read this one!