Spaz Has Her First Rant: Shadowfever

• Hardcover: 608 pages
  • List Price: $26.00 US
  • Publisher: Delacorte Press (January 18, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0385341679
  • ISBN-13: 978-0385341677

Buy Shadowfever at:

“Evil is a completely different creature, Mac. Evil is bad that believes it’s good.”

MacKayla Lane was just a child when she and her sister, Alina, were given up for adoption and banished from Ireland forever.

Twenty years later, Alina is dead and Mac has returned to the country that expelled them to hunt her sister’s murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, Mac is plunged into a secret history: an ancient conflict between humans and immortals who have lived concealed among us for thousands of years.

What follows is a shocking chain of events with devastating consequences, and now Mac struggles to cope with grief while continuing her mission to acquire and control the Sinsar Dubh—a book of dark, forbidden magic scribed by the mythical Unseelie King, containing the power to create and destroy worlds.

In an epic battle between humans and Fae, the hunter becomes the hunted when the Sinsar Dubh turns on Mac and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves.
Who can she turn to? Who can she trust? Who is the woman haunting her dreams? More important, who is Mac herself and what is the destiny she glimpses in the black and crimson designs of an ancient tarot card?

From the luxury of the Lord Master’s penthouse to the sordid depths of an Unseelie nightclub, from the erotic bed of her lover to the terrifying bed of the Unseelie King, Mac’s journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and to make a choice that will either save the world . . . or destroy it.

I know a lot of friend readers and bloggers adored this book, and I completely understand and respect that. Usually every book I read has at least some issues that are, to a varying degree, overlookable. The tragedy happens when the flaws for the reader overpower the attractions, and sadly, this is what happened for me (and Nat!) with Shadowfever.

**Warning, SPOILERS**

Here is the truth: This book drove me BANANAS with the endless paragraphs of questions. Shadowfever did NOT need to be the length that it was, that it was stretched out entirely too long with unnecessary emo verse and Mac Version 200 Questions made me want to stab someone.

Here are just 2 of endless examples in which a paragraph of questions are used to tell the story:

“What would happen when we finally had the Book under lock and key? How did Barrons think he was going to use it once it was contained? Did he know the First Language? Was he that old? Had he learned it over time, or been taught? Did he plan to let us re-inter it at the abbey again, then sit down and read it? And do what with the knowledge?” pg 372

“Was she bad because she’d loved him? Was he evil because he’d wanted to reclaim what had been taken from him? Hadn’t the same motives driven the Unseelie King and his concubine? Didn’t the same motives drive humans every day?
Why hadn’t the queen just let the king have the woman he loved? Why couldn’t the king be happy with one lifetime? What might have happened to the Unseelie if they’d never been imprisoned? Might they have turned out like the Seelie court?
And what about my sister and me? Would we really doom the world? Nurture or nature: What were we?” pg 452

That is just crappy storytelling, for me. The equivalent to pages and pages of paragraph questions like this throughout the book is not endearing to me. I know that KMM has used this style of writing in previous books, but it was too excessive for me to forgive.

Should I go on with the things that really bothered me? She is looking through a photo album of Alina’s, and she opens up to a picture Alina took of her and Darroc having sex and the shot is him as he’s coming. Wait. What? Let me get this straight. Alina took a picture of Darroc right when he is orgasming inside of her, had it developed, and then put it in to her photo album along with photos of her birthday parties and shit? Are you serious? /INSERT ME GAGGING HERE/: “From the look on his face, I knew he was coming when she took it. And I could see it in his eyes. He’d loved her, too.” That just ain’t right!

By the middle of the book I was channeling Dave Chappelle chanting “Wrap. It. Up!” She’s the concubine. No, she’s the Unseelie King, no wait, she’s only one of many parts of him, she’s becoming Fae, she’s here, she’s there, what is he, where is he, it just became ridiculous. By the time she takes Barrons by the hand and kills him AGAIN by trying to get him through the Unseelie King’s silver in his boudoir, I threw in the towel. Again she kills him? Again she says “I’m sorry?” Overkill. Enough! Tell us what the BLEEP is going on, already! Then, what is ultimately revealed about who Mac is, is just silly. She was “touched” in the womb by the Sinshar Du and that’s how she and it are connected? How she has all these memories? I’ve waited over a year for this? And Christian. What was the point of Christian’s evolution from Druid to Unseelie Prince? Huh?

I did like several parts of the book. I enjoyed the world building. I felt like I could really see the White Mansion, and the Unseelie Prison. I also loved when Darroc was decapitated, and all Mac was concerned about was putting his head back on and torturing information out of him. That was AWESOME! I think this was my favorite quote from the book:

“Darroc is no longer about to kiss me, because his head is gone—just gone—and you’re never ready for that, no matter how cold and hard and dead you think you are inside. Being sprayed by the blood of a headless corpse—especially someone you know, whether you like him or not—gets you on a visceral level. Doubly so when you were about to kiss that person. But even more upsetting is that I don’t know how to merge with the Book. All I can think is: His head is gone and I don’t know how to merge with the Book. He eats Unseelie. Can I put his head back on? If I do, can he talk? Maybe I can patch him up and torture it out of him.” pg  149

Another part that highly amused me, even if it was not totally buyable, was that V’lane this entire time was Cruce, the last Unseelie Prince. I honestly did not see V’lane’s deception coming at all. I did like the plot twist of Dani leading Alina to her demise, too.

I loved of course that she and Barrons AFTER 4 BOOKS and 450 PAGES OF THIS BOOK finally gave in to one another, but by the time it happened, for me it was too little too late. I was really passed the point where I could take their anger/stress/sexual tension any longer and I was sick of them both by part 4.

And then, after all these millennia of Barrons searching for the Sinshar Du at all costs to end his son’s suffering, that part of the story is resolved in the last 2 pages and it is something so ridiculously simple? All the things he has done to track the book, the people he has hurt and killed, and his problem is solved, wrapped up in a nice little bow at the very end? And we never learn what Barrons really is other than “a Beast”. What are he and his 8 really? She couldn’t give that to her readers? Who was the mother of his child? And how did Fiona know all of this about his inability to die and more, more than Mac did? How did Fiona initially fit in to all this? Hey! This entire paragraph of questions makes me sound like… wait for it… Mac Version 200 Questions!

Sorry, KMM, but 2.5 stars. I am disappointed with the end result. I don’t feel you gave us readers the true ending to the series we deserved, but I ain’t mad at ya. You had a story to tell and I am just one fan who didn’t like it.

Qué sera sera.

Pam rated Shadowfever higher then I did (Nat here) I gave it:

I had much the same issues Pam did, I just felt it was way too much and way too drawn out. To each their own right? THIS is why we review books, not all of us like the same thing & we aren’t afraid (okay maybe a little) to share our displeasure.

Comments
  • Mardel January 21, 2011 at 12:34 am

I’ve been saving the last two books to read until Shadowfever came out in paperback….shit. I HATE when there are paragraphs and paragraphs of questions. They’re usually repetitive and totally piss me off. Not sure now if I want to bother with the last book…or the ones I have.

crap.

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Hi Mardel! Please don’t let this discourage you from reading the books – most everyone I know enjoyed the way the series was wrapped up. It is not my intention to prevent anyone from reading, I just needed to get all my feelings off my chest as someone who has been waiting over a year for this conclusion :)

• Mardel January 26, 2011 at 12:05 am

I totally understand, and I’m going to read the other books – just not sure if I’ll continue to the last book. I really don’t enjoy books where there are way too many questions – they frustrate me almost as much as textbooks that tell you five different ways the same fact. Frustrates the hell out of me. It just disappoints me because I really enjoyed the first two and I am looking forward to reading the next two…just not looking forward to reading a bunch of questions. Too many questions and stupid dialogue are at the top of my pet peeves when it comes to books. I really don’t have a lot of pet peeves with book reading – but question after question is at the top of the small list. :)

• Tiffany @ KindleVixen January 21, 2011 at 12:37 am

With you guys in that I didn’t love it. I did enjoy it more than you, but it definitely dragged in some places and the emo was a bit much. There was just too much going on in parts.

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Hi Tiffany! Yeah, there were definitely parts that I did enjoy — they were just sadly outnumbered.

• Cem January 21, 2011 at 2:55 am

I admit this rant kind of made me laugh. Mostly because while I agree with most of it, I still loved the book. It didn’t irritate me enough to ruin it for me, but it was longer than in needed to be and wrapped up a little too sharp at the end with Barrons son. But I read it over a few days in a haze of flu, so I think mostly I was just wading and happy for the distraction. The thing that irritated me most though, was Mac’s sudden total acceptance and stubborn ‘I am the Unseelie King’ statements. Um, sorry, where did MAC go? But at the end of the day, I’m still pretty happy with the end result. It wasn’t exactly what I was expecting, nor has it left the impression that books 1-4 did. But I still love it and that’s better than it being a total miss for me.

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Good! I admit, I wanted to make folks giggle :)

• KB/KT Grant January 21, 2011 at 8:07 am

Word!

Le Douche.

At least Mac got her “O’s” she so rightly deserves after Le Douche gave her such crap.

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Word! And she DID get her “O”s :P

• Becky January 21, 2011 at 9:30 am

I finally finished last night. (1) I agree with your rant. (2) I liked the book. (3) I am really glad it has finally ended. But so many open questions. What happens with Dani and Mac? What is Jericho and what 8?? I still haven’t figured out who the other 8 are! And the killing of the son, so simple, but Mac didn’t know about it until right at the end. So Jericho is an idiot? But I will say I did love the book, because it brought closure to the series. I have been hanging on edge since the last book. Oh and Christian, still trying to figure that one out!! He is so pissy toward Mac, and turning Unseelie, so is he still a druid??

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Hi Becky! I am really happy that so many people DID overall like the book, but yeah, I am bummed that the things I did like just weren’t enough to save it for me. I am a fan of series that come to an end because everything needs to have closure. I just felt this was more of a setup for another series, not really a close. But that’s just me!

• tori aka ggs_closet January 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

Uhhhhh…well you two know how I felt. #emoprose. I’m on the fence about this one. I agree with you both on the too many questions, too much angst, not enough answers, and way to freaking long. She could have easily cut 150 pages from this book. When I finished I felt let down and somewhat bamboozled.

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Thanks Tori! I wrote this rant past midnight when I finished the book. Once I wrote out the rant I realized I wasn’t on the fence at all, I felt disappointed.

• Samantha January 21, 2011 at 9:35 am

I am so ticked off that we still don’t know what Barrons really is!!!

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2011 at 10:03 am

Me too! That drove me nuts

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Right?! Who was the mom of his child?! What world does he come from?! What does he EAT! his heart stops beating when he goes too long without eating… I’d definitely require him to tell me what he does eat – a “none of your fucking business” answer just would not fly for me still :)

• Penelope January 21, 2011 at 9:39 am

This is a great review! I agree with all of your points, but I still found the book a fitting end to the series, and very satisfying in a lot of ways. And I’m a very easy grader (my biology students loved me when I taught 9th grade science…hee hee!). Terrific review.

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Hi Penelope! Thanks so much, I admit I was nervous getting this all out of my system and in to cyberspace. I am a fairly easy grader too, and am largely easy to please. But once I finished the book and this all came out, I realized that for once, I am not on the fence.

• Seleste deLaney January 21, 2011 at 9:40 am

I haven’t read the series, but everyone was talking so much about this release that I almost bought the first couple books last week to see what all the fuss was about. I stopped myself by thinking of all the other stuff I still have to read here already, and I’m glad I did.

Love it when you two rant, but I really hope you read something you like soon. For your sanity if nothing else :)

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Hi Seleste! I’ve been a fan of the series from the start, and have waited over a year for this conclusion to the series. I definitely do not want to discourage anyone from reading the series, but am glad you enjoyed our rant :D

• Dren January 21, 2011 at 9:41 am

I love this review! Yep there were a ton of flaws and WTFkery going on in the story. From the questions to the introduction of characters and creatures. But overall as a reader I still enjoyed it. Oh and I’ve heard this isn’t the final book. There will be more Mac and Barrons down the line. :)

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2011 at 9:46 am

WHAT! So why the hype saying this was it? WTF is that? I know spin off with Dani, but seriously?!

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm

What What What?! I get that maybe Mac and Barrons show up in a spin-off series, but I really had hoped The End would have been The End :) I am glad you enjoyed the book overall, though!

• Dawn January 21, 2011 at 9:43 am

I love the review. I also loved the book, but I do agree with you on many of the points you made in your review, its just that they didn’t irritate me as much. I definitely agree that the whole “Am I the Unseelie King?” or “Am I the concubine?” storyline drug out way too long and could have been cut way down. The parts that I found the most irritating were the sections written from Dani’s point of view, she drives me nuts. It got to the point where I just wanted to skip those parts of the novel. While there were sections that I could have done without, I loved the story as a whole and the positives outweigh the negatives for me. I loved the V’lane is Cruce storyline, evil Rowena, and Dani helping to set up Alina’s death.

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2011 at 9:47 am

The Dani parts and the parts with the book talking drove me NUTS

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Hi Dawn! Thank you! Oh yes, Dani and her over-the-top dialog. Sigh… :)

• Sophia (FV) January 21, 2011 at 9:46 am

I loved the book and really wasn’t bothered by the angst etc. After the world practically ending, a gang rape, danger 24 hours a day, I guess I expected some angst? LOL. Great review Pam. :)

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Hi Sophia! I know that you and most of my favorite bloggers did love the book, and I am truly happy that you did! It would have been terrible if everyone was as upset as me so I am glad that’s not the case :)

• Sophia (FV) January 21, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Oh please, I lurve you so much I want to squish you. Besides, more Barrons for me now. LOL

• Bells January 21, 2011 at 9:50 am

I agree that everyone is entitled to like what they like. If people can’t respect that, then poo on them!

I love that you guys are honest about how you feel. You’re way of handling your displeasure of the book was the right way to do it as well. You’re not bashing it everywhere and not cracking on the folks that loved the book. (points at self)

I agree with a lot of your points as well. There were times that I was like, “Oh come on already! Just hurry it up!” There was a lot of excess at times.

I laughed so hard at Pam’s description of the pic! That was pure awesomeness Pam! I read that part and was like, “Oooookay” LOL

Great review Pam and kudos to the both of you for being adults about how to deal with your true feelings.

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2011 at 10:03 am

Thanks Bells :) We were scared we’d be crucified. lol

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Love you Bells!!! And thank you :)

• The Book Vixen January 21, 2011 at 10:09 am

I agree: SF was just too drawn out. It didn’t need to be as long as it is. I just finished reading SF last night and I’m still exhausted! It felt like it took forever for me to read and like I was never going to get the “correct” answers. I took notes while reading SF and ended up with 5 pages (front and back) with most of it being crossed off because of the changes.

I find it hard to grasp that the answer Barrons was looking for was as simple as a Hunter. The man knows everything. EVERYTHING. But he doesn’t know that? He didn’t know what the K’Vruck was?

And after all that reading, the BIGGEST question of all – What is Barrons? – still remains. Are you freakin’ kidding me?!!

• Wicked Lil Pixie January 21, 2011 at 10:11 am

LOL that was the end all for me when i completely lost it.

• The Book Vixen January 21, 2011 at 10:33 am

We should have gotten that answer. I feel like we were robbed.

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Hi TBV! You know how I feel on that. I wanted more answers on what Barrons is!

• Marq January 21, 2011 at 10:18 am

Great review! I had the same issues with Shadowfever but it didn’t ruin the book for me. I loved it! I skimmed over the paragraph after paragraph of questions. The angst was a bit much but them I’m like, the chick has gone through a lot. I’m surprised she’s still standing. So maybe it’s okay for her to be a little emo. Oh and the picture of Darroc’s come face. LOL! I was like, WTH?!?! Then did a Kanye shrug and moved on!

I knew the book would have parts that were long and drawn out just from the number of pages. It has to be hard to keep the pace steady for 600 pages. I’m not mad at KMM. She gave me what I wanted – more Barrons (yay!) and a HEA for Mac and Barrons that stayed true to their relationship.

No crucification coming from me! I liked your review! And agreed with most of it. I loved that you were respectful and didn’t bash the book or the people who loved it. We all have different opinions and tastes. It would be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing.

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Thanks so much, Marq! I agree with you about the HEA. I really wanted Mac and Barrons to have one, so in that aspect, KMM delivered. Totally not mad at KMM either, this was the story that came to her, and she relayed it to us. :)

• tina January 21, 2011 at 10:41 am

I only read part of your reveiw, I didn’t want to be spoiled. What I did read, I agreed. I’ve only read the first couple chapters and already it was one big Mac rant that didn’t need to be there. I’m already bored. It was long, whiney and didn’t need to be in the book.

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Hang in there, Tina, and I truly do hope you ultimately enjoy it more than we did :)

• Qwill January 21, 2011 at 11:23 am

I couldn’t agree with you more. I also found Dani a bit over the top and much more annoying than before. The only closure I got was the Mac/Barrons HEA. I’m upset that Adam Black didn’t play a bigger roll that was hinted at in the last Highlander book. Apparently KMM will be continuing in the Fever world. I’m not entirely sure that I will join her.

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Hi Qwill! Yes! I really thought that Adam Black (from the Highlander series) would be in it more, as well, given his millennia-long history with Darroc, the Seelie Queen, V’lane, and the Fae in general. He had a cameo, and that was it. Poop.

• KC January 21, 2011 at 11:49 am

KMM can do no wrong in my eyes. K-Khan and I did have some text messaging discussions on why we needed like 4/5 different Mac is this, no wait she is the King. I also thought the Barrons baby thing was wrapped up waaaaaay too quickly. There were a lot of twists going on…maybe even too many that it dissected your interest from the main characters.

But hot damn I really liked the sex scene!

• Spaz January 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Hi KC! KMM never disappoints with a smokin hot sex scene! And I do love the fact that Mac admitted to herself and Barrons that she faked the end part of her being priya. That did make me smile :)

• KB/KT Grant January 21, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Since Barrons eats, does that mean he uses the toilet? Does he bathe, slap on some Douche Olay for cologne?

• Fit_Cat January 21, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I like that you didn’t like the book but respect the opinion of the ones that like it, like me. The world is full of colors and different tastes and not everybody likes the same (thanks god).
    I agree with you about Dani’s dialogues, I hate them, I wanted to skip them but didn’t do it…
    For me, KMM answer all my questions and have me guessing during the book. I think she answer what Barrons and the 8 are, but I may be wrong. When Dani tells Mac about Nana O’Reily and Jo’s conversation, Nana calls Barrons the Damned; the Damned are part of Greek mythology I thought she was referring to those Damned, that are immortal.
    I also like that she gave Mac and Barrons a HEA without altering their personalities. He is who he is and she is… ok whogivesafuck?

• Spaz January 24, 2011 at 8:54 am

Hello Fit Cat! We DID get our HEA, so for that I can do a ^highfive^ over :)

• Millie January 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    I was that crazy lady waking up a 3am in order to read the book. I was so excited and pumped for this story that I just couldn’t wait. After I finished it I couldn’t put into words what it was about it that bothered me so much but you nailed it. I kept waiting to see how others took it and it was one love fest after another on all the blogs I read. I kept thinking, “Did they read the same book?” I am a complete Fever junkie. I was along the ride from the beginning and I just had such HIGH hopes for this ending. It dragged on in the beginning and it IRRITATED me like nails on a chalkboard that Mac went back to hating/loving/being indifferent with Barrons. Did I not just spent all of book four going through that and then to have to deal with it ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!! Then the Fiona thing. She knew what Barrons was. Why was she privy to that? Ugh!!! I wanted to love it. I wanted to snuggle it and have babies with it but I feel now we are in for a lengthy divorce.
    Thanks for the great review!

• Spaz January 24, 2011 at 8:55 am

Greetings Millie! {hugs you} You’re in good company, and glad you found us! You are not alone :D

• Kitt January 23, 2011 at 1:52 am

Hi Pam! Great review! While I do disagree with your rating, I don’t disagree at all with what you said. I really would of liked some closure like we were promised.

For your questions:
    Barron’s child’s mother is *his brightest star* {Dreamfever} (most likely his first love, but really KMM thinks the exact *who* is irrelevant) He’s from earth, but what ever happened in the *storm* to him – his son – his men when they first died in the dessert, changed them. We didn’t find out what the “beast” is exactly cause she’s saving it for the next series between Dani/Ryo/Christian (which is also why we didn’t find out about *why* what happened to Christian happened) As for Fio I don’t know, but I’m actually more interested in why they didn’t kill her for her knowledge. The fact that she’s a “doormat” isn’t a good enough explanation, especially since she went to OBannion and then to Darroc.

• Spaz January 24, 2011 at 9:01 am

Hi Kitt! Thanks for popping in, this is good information. The issue I have with this is I was under the impression that this would be The End of the series and that we would have all of our answers. KMM’s lack of full disclosure on Barrons (and his kind) for a new series really burns my biscuits and leaves me feeling cheated. But, that’s not to say that I won’t be taking a look at her new series when it comes out :D

• Kitt January 28, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Yes! I completely agree! I was under that same impression (and from most of the reviews I’ve seen, so were a lot of others) It’s disheartening to learn that she chose to drag it out longer into the next series. But like you, I still be reading the next.

I also thought you’d like to know what KMM said about the 9 in her discussion earlier this week. (The transcripts should be up soon) “You will never know what Barrons and the fabulous 9 truly are. ” :(

• Sophia (FV) January 23, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Kitt

I completely agree! Thought this was weak. I think we needed more of an explanation on the Fiona angle.

• Spaz January 24, 2011 at 8:56 am

Yes! when “the doormat” comment was made, I thought surely that wasn’t all that was going to be said about Fiona. But it was. *dramatic sigh*

• foolonthehill January 24, 2011 at 8:57 am

I was disappointed with Shadowfever.

I loved the setup. Barbie in a strange land on a vengeance quest. I was sucked into the mysterious byzantine world with its strange exotic characters and their unknown motives. It was fun and I was looking forward to the puzzle coming together.

The start of Shadowfever was bewildering and I had a sense deja vu but I pressed on. Slowly it came to me. I was reading nothing more than a modified “bad boy Highlander” novel with more detailed window dressing. Sucked the suspense right out of the whole series. I read on thru the expected lust driven HEA and watched the events and characters of the first four books either go unaddressed, evolve into plot devices to drive the HEA, be used for comic effect (some of that WAS funny) or be hand waved away. Nothing new here.

If I had been expecting a reworking of the “bad boy Highlander” formula it would have been a fun, goofy, light read but I wasn’t and it wasn’t. Very, very disappointing.

• Spaz February 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Hello Fool on The Hill!
      You are in good company and are not alone :) Thank you for dropping by!

• Colette @ A Buckeye Girl Reads January 25, 2011 at 8:48 pm

As much as I loved this book-I see your points, and have to admit I never thought about it like, but you are right…some of the sentence were really long and drawn out. I’m sorry this book disappointed you!

• Spaz February 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm