WLP Rants: Newsletters Piss Me Off!

Just Say NO to Spamletters

I know what you’re thinking “But Pixie, you are the one who has to subscribe to get the newsletter.” WRONG. A new crop of authors thinks it’s okay to find your email address and subscribe you to their newsletters, without your permission. Even better, the genre is 99.9% always one I don’t read!

I got one this past week from an author I’ve never had any contact with, for a book I have never heard of, in a genre I don’t read. The best part, no unsubscribe link! I didn’t subscribe and now she’s got me trapped in her newsletter loop.

Usually I suck it up, hit junk mail and be done with it. But she caught me during a bad day and irritated the funk out of me, so she got a reply:

“Adding people to mailing lists without their permission is rude and it’s called spam”

I was as nice as I could possibly be, you know I can be a helluva lot ruder. Of course, she never replied and I haven’t gotten another email…yet. It’s not that I am against newsletters, I am subscribed to a few myself. But searching for blogs, not even caring what genre they are, and adding them without their permission pisses me off something fierce.

A few months ago another author did this, but even worse she posted newsletters ONCE A DAY and had no unsubscribe link! I blocked her, I junk mailed her and it would keep appearing in my inbox. The only way I got rid of her, I just happened to change ISP’s and she’s sending to an email address that no longer exists.

So please authors, for the sake of our sanity:

DO NOT ADD PEOPLE WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION.

Comments
  • Cassie July 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm

There are some companies that do this too – I used Fandango to buy movie tickets last week, and did NOT opt-in to their newsletter. Two days later? Got an email newsletter. I unsubscribed, but what did I find in my inbox this morning? Another newsletter from Fandango. That’s why our newsletter is opt-in, and our servers update overnight to delete people who’ve asked to be removed from our list.

• Wicked Lil Pixie July 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Don’t even get me started on the random newsletters, if it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t get email daily!

• Rowena July 5, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Hear, hear! I’m right there with you!

• Carolyn @ Book Chick City July 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm

This happens to me A LOT. It’s VERY annoying. I’ve even emailed the authors/publishers to remove me and the just ignore me, and as you mention some don’t even have an unsubscribe link. This is NOT the way to get your book noticed, talked about or reviewed. All these email just go straight in the bin.

• Carmel @ Rabid Reads July 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I hear ya! This has been happening more and more to me lately. The same thing has been happening with a few tour organizers too. Never signed up to become a member of their host team yet all of a sudden my inbox is crammed with sign-up e-mails for genres I don’t read. Auto-delete.

• Silke July 6, 2012 at 3:55 am

I’m very anal about who gets my personal email address. (Notice how you didn’t get it lol) So when I recently subscribed to a book tour company…imagine my absolute HORROR to find that not only were they sending me newsletters — the CC’d everyone!
    Holy crap in a basket. Bad enough they sent me rubbish, but they sent this to some 100 people — and I have every single email they sent it to.
    Needless to say, I hit the roof and told them in no uncertain terms what I thought of their “Email campaign” and their unprofessional practices.
    The other one that annoys me is “Free” give away entries where you have to subscribe to something. That’s not free. You’re getting my email address.
    And no, I won’t subscribe.

• Emma Cunningham July 6, 2012 at 8:55 am

My favourite was when I was managing the submissions inbox for Carina Press and authors added THAT to their mailing lists. Come on, seriously?

• Donna @ Bites July 6, 2012 at 11:55 am

I have a few of these as well, all without unsubscribe functions. I’m really biting my tongue but the next one I get I’ll probably tell me to piss it. I didn’t ask for the newsletter so don’t send it to me.

• Aislynn @ Stitch Read Cook July 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I’ve been noticing that a lot lately as well – so many newsletter that I don’t remember signing up for!! I hit spam or unsubscribe ALL THE TIME but they keep showing up!

• Jackie (Literary Escapism) July 7, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I’ve noticed too that a lot of contest entries, especially at conventions, will say that “we won’t use your email for anything, just to contact you if you win”, but then I find myself subscribed to their newsletter. I don’t recall that being said when I entered. That gets annoying too. It’s one of the reasons why I won’t enter contests anymore.

• bobby November 18, 2012 at 3:05 pm

me too guys, how to stop this shit??

• bobby November 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm

does anyone have any ideas, I read about a program called “spammitback”, does anyone know if it works?