CdnMrs Has A Question

So I read this book. Shocking, I know.

Leave Me Breathless by Cherie Lynn

Leather and lace don’t strike sparks. Or do they?

It’s Valentine’s Day, but Macy Rodgers isn’t feeling the love. Aside from a torrid, one-night fling in a backseat a few months back, her love life has been sorely lacking, but fortunately she has devious friends who feel like playing Cupid. Wouldn’t they be shocked to learn that the match they’ve made for her is the same one that steamed up the back of that ’69 GTO…

Seth “Ghost” Warren has just returned to town after an extended absence. Between his grandmother’s failing health, his job as a tattoo artist, his band’s gigs, and a crazy ex who won’t leave him alone, he’s stretched thin. Cautious cowgirl Macy is the last thing he needs thrown into the mix.

She’s all country, he’s all heavy metal—and Macy knows that if anyone can propel her out of her rut, it’s Seth. But when their worlds collide, it’s anyone’s guess if they’ll survive with their hearts intact.

Warning: Contains explicit sex, graphic language, road trips, troublemaking exes, emotional baggage, and an unconventional but exceptionally hot hero tatted and pierced for your pleasure…

• Publisher: Samhain Publishing, Ltd. (November 6, 2012)
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B008Z436F4
  • Buy at: Amazon

I enjoyed Leave Me Breathless. It was fantastic to read a well written Erotica that didn’t mirror Fifty Shades of Grey, had a decent plot and good character development. I’ll give it 4 stars. Yay!

Pixie: I looooved this book, right down to Ghost’s music choices & his ummm nether region piercing. My rating is different from Sara’s, I give it 5 Stars!

Handing the mic back to Sara:

But this post isn’t really a review or a rant, it’s more a question that came to me during the reading of Leave Me Breathless. In the book, the main character Macy keeps telling herself that a “real” relationship with Ghost (real name Seth) won’t work. Macy lists a couple of reasons and the one that stuck out to me, because it was also a concern of Macy’s friend Candace from a previous book in this series, is that because of the way Ghost looks (lots of black, bald head, tons of tattoos, both visible  piercings) it won’t work with her and her parents won’t accept him.

Do people still think like this? That because someone has tats and piercings that they’re bad or deviant in some way? I realize this is a variation on the “bad boy/good girl” trope found in many romance novels, but is this trope still valid? With everyone from rock stars to Sunday school teachers sporting ink, is it may time to put this trope to bed?

I grew up in a small town, with conservative parents who grew up in small towns and unless a guy was sporting gang tattoos or so much ink and metal that he wouldn’t be able to hold down a job that didn’t involve carnival rides, I don’t think they would have had a problem with me seeing someone like Ghost. They’re very big on and have raised me to be big on that whole “it’s what’s inside that counts” thing.

What do you think? Is this trope out dated? Have you ever faced criticism for tattoos and piercing? Or maybe you’re part of a relationship that looks less than ideal on the outside , tell me about it.

Cheers!

Comments
  • Julie November 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

Sadly no, it’s not outdated. I’m from the suburbs of Detroit and there are still people there who have the attitude you mention (“Ink and piercings are bad! You must be the devil incarnate!”). There are an even larger number of people who can appreciate the choice of body modifications and even like them from afar, but up close and personal? *gasp* That might make them a whore!

*rolls eyes*

As it is, every time I go home someone in my family is making a comment TO MY KIDS about my ink and eyebrow piercing. Fortunately, my kids very politely tell them to stuff it.

• Julie November 19, 2012 at 9:28 am

Actually, just to add to this…

There’s a certain online kink community I know. One would think the attitude you mention wouldn’t exist in the kink world where people routinely beat each other and indulge in fetishes of all sorts, but there’s a sizable number who consider body mods to be an automatic no in a partner.

• CdnMrs November 19, 2012 at 9:37 am

I learn something new everyday. My mind is boggled by that kind of prejudice in the kink community. Wow!
        Also, who bad mouths a person to their own children? Great so your outside is “unblemished”, but that sure sounds like the inside could use some work. Some people! Ugh!
        Thanks for sharing Julie. :)

• Mel Thomas November 19, 2012 at 9:28 am

Oh it’s still an issue, believe me. As a heavily tattooed woman I’ve learned that like most things what’s good for the goose isn’t always good for the gander so to speak. It’s socially acceptable for men to have tattoos but on women it’s trashy. I was in a relationship with someone who didn’t have a single tattoo and had never even gotten his ear pierced but we found common ground and it just worked. All that being said, Ben was a wonderful man but his parents hated me. I was trash because I have tattoos. It didn’t matter that I’m smart, loyal, dependable, have a good job, and loved their son more than anything in the world. In their eyes I was never good enough.

Because of that, I’m super cautious when it comes to dating now. I have been ashamed of a lot of choices I’ve made but tattoos aren’t one of them. They are a road map of my life and honestly really helped me get through certain times. People need to quit being so godsdamn judgmental and learn that you can’t judge a book buy it’s cover. I may be hard on the outside but if you can look beyond that, I’m one hell of a person. Sorry for the rant but I felt like I needed to speak on this.

• CdnMrs November 19, 2012 at 9:33 am

That’s so weird to me! Am I going to lie that the parent of the little girl in my kid’s class with lots of facial tattoo didn’t initially make me uncomfortable, no. Turns out he was a cool guy and a great father though.
      And I get that some of this is human nature to be uncertain of things that are different, but to hate a person because of what they look like. Such a jerk thing to do.
      Sorry, you’ve had to go through this Mel.

• Candace November 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

I have multiple piercings (nose, ears, cartilage) and yeah, my benign little piercing experiences have caused double looks, but none to the extent of discernment. I’d rather be pierced and tatted than judgmental anyday.

• CdnMrs November 19, 2012 at 9:56 am

Exactly!
      Thanks for your reply.

• The Mighty Buzzard November 19, 2012 at 10:19 am

Visible tats, piercings, and edgy styles of dress can say many things about a person. One thing they all say though is “I disdain societal norms”. Which is all fine and good as a personal philosophy.

It’s not good in a prospective mate for your progeny though. It will almost certainly hold the person back in life (see below). Parents generally want perfection for their spawn, realistic or not, and this is a flaw from their perspective. Moreover, it’s a chosen flaw rather than one they’re born with and can work to overcome.

It’s also a big red flag to a lot of employers because it all but screams out that they hold authority in contempt. Generally something you do not want when you are the authority. Yeah, there are exceptions but they’re just that. Exceptions. If they were common they’d be the norm.

So, yeah, it still happens all the time and with perfectly good reason.

• CdnMrs November 19, 2012 at 10:32 am

Absolutely true and particularly regarding employers. I work in a medical office and while some of our employees have visible tattoos and piercings they do tend to be on the cute, rather than edgy side of things.
      As one of three daughters, I can also understand the concern of parents regarding suitability, employability and the extreme character someone with multiple tattoos, piercings and a particular fashion sense might have.

I guess I’m just naive (or maybe hopeful?) to think that those external things shouldn’t get in the way of two people who know each other, have proven chemistry and have no other reasons that would keep them from being in a romantic relationship.
      I know this kind of prejudice does exist, but had kind of hoped that it at least happened less now than maybe it had in the past. Guess not.

Thanks for your comment.

• The Mighty Buzzard November 19, 2012 at 10:48 am

Don’t get me wrong. I have visible tats and spent a good portion of my life with oddly cut/colored hair and a less than conservative wardrobe. I just also understand that you can’t both rebel against and be welcomed by society. People can and should be judged by the statements made by their appearance, else what’s the point in making them?

• CdnMrs November 19, 2012 at 11:41 am

I guess it’s about finding a way to balance your personal expression with your personal goals.

• Wicked Lil Pixie November 19, 2012 at 11:42 am

What he fails to mention is that he is former military ;)

• Wicked Lil Pixie November 19, 2012 at 11:33 am

When I first got my nose pierced, I was working for the courts. They made me put a band-aid on my piercing to hide it. Because nothing draws more attention to your piercing then a skin coloured band-aid.

Now I have 7 piercings and 2 tattoos, not one person has said anything rude or judged me for any of my body art. Same goes for my hair colour when I go a little nutty. But then again, I live in the big city in the entertainment district so I am tame compared to others.

• CdnMrs November 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

LOL! The stupid band aid thing. Who ever thought that was a good idea?
      I used to work at a retail chain that sold body jewelry and even they didn’t want us to hire people with lots of facial piercings.
      It’s a crazy world.

• Wicked Lil Pixie November 19, 2012 at 11:41 am

It totally is, but you know what… I wouldn’t trade my body art for anything in the world. Both of my tats have meaning, and my next one will be a tribute to my mom. Instead of judging the art, people should ask the whys, all of us with ink are always willing to talk about why we got it and what it means to us.

• The Mighty Buzzard November 19, 2012 at 11:49 am

Ya, like the cross on my forearm symbolizes being 16, stoned, and wanting to try out my cousin’s new homemade tat gun.

• Donna November 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm

People still make judgments based on appearance. Not just tats and piercings but weight, and clothing and other factors as well. Starbucks has a most liberal hiring policy yet they make their employees cover their tats while working. And bottom line is we do care what our loved ones think of us and the choices we make.

• Spaz November 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I just finished this book too! I loved it! I really do thing this is still an issue today. And I do believe that she kinda addressed that it is a TOTAL cliche when Macy tells her dad the situation with Ghost near the end… rich daughter brings home bad boy in rebellion, sort of acknowledging that it TOTALLY sounds like an outdated trope, but it totally isn’t. I could TOTALLY buy it, wealthy rich girl ain’t gonna not make waves when she brings this guy home to her parents in TX. Maybe some households wouldn’t be as conservative, but there certainly are many many that are.

• Spaz November 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm

ummm, sorry for my overuse of TOTAL. Got excited and didn’t clean up what I said before hitting the POST YOUR COMMENT button *slinks away* :P

• CdnMrs November 19, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Phew! I was like, “Wow, hit a button there!” for a second.
      I guess to me, this isn’t an issue, but clearly with a lot of people it is. I feel kind of naive but at the same time glad to know I’m not surrounded by that kind of thinking.

• Linda Poitevin November 19, 2012 at 6:45 pm

We’ve been around and around this issue many times in my family. With hubby being a cop, he tended to look upon any tat/piercing with a jaundiced eye. As Mighty Buzzard pointed out, it does tend to scream anti-authority — certainly to a large segment of society. That said, however, I do think societal norms are slowly shifting. Two of my three daughters now have tattoos and nose piercings (though one has let hers close over), and one daughter’s boyfriend is heavily tattooed…all of them for artistic and deeply personal reasons (almost as if their bodies were canvases). Hubby has adjusted to the idea, and if he can do it, there’s hope for anyone! ;)

• Avery Flynn November 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

Ha! This was going through my head the other night when I saw an insurance commercial. The narrator was talking about making annoying things disappear and one of those things happened to be a tatted up dude picking up some guy’s daughter for a date. It’s definitely still out there but I wonder if it’s become almost a cliche.