31 Wicked Days of Xmas With Ruthie Knox

• What is next for you book wise in 2013?

I have a novella releasing January 28, How To Misbehave, to kick off my Camelot series with Loveswept. This is the story I fondly called #ItalianStallion on Twitter — a tough Italian construction worker hero and a more-innocent-than-she-wants-to-be heroine get stuck together alone in a basement when the tornado siren goes off. Then the lights go out. Let the shenanigans begin!

• Do you have a favorite book of 2012?

My favorite book I read in 2012 was probably LaVyrle Spencer’s Morning Glory. My favorite book published in 2012 might have been Molly O’Keefe’s Can’t Hurry Love. Wounded cowboy hero! Truck sex! Plus, I loved the complexity of the characters. Molly is awesome.

• What is your favorite holiday food?

Mocha pound cake. Unfortunately, my own mocha pound cake is my very favorite, which means I have to make it myself. And then eat it.

• Least favorite holiday song?

“Little Drummer Boy.” Pa-rum-pa-pum-pum.

• Do you have any holiday family traditions?

Our little family unit of three is still sadly lacking in traditions, unless you count putting up our pathetic artificial Christmas tree. The extended family is chock full of traditions, though. My mom always hangs stockings knit by my grandmother, and Santa puts a Whitman’s Sampler in the toe of each one.

• Worst gift you ever received?

When I was a kid, my parents were always threatening to buy us washcloths for Christmas. One year, they did. Thankfully, there were other presents, as well.

• Worst gift you ever gave?

I think I might have once given my dad this terrible blue sweatshirt that I embellished in middle school home economics with a fabric fish. There was fishing line glued to it, and possibly an actual hook. Because that is the kind of child I was. Luckily, I was not the kind of child to notice that he never wore it.

• Favorite holiday memory?

We spent a lot of Christmases when I was a kid at my grandparents’ house in upstate New York. My cousins would come up for the day, friends of my grandparents would drop in and out, we’d constantly be sneaking back onto the cold porch to steal my grandma’s cookies and fudge out of tins, and there was always a Godzilla movie on TV. The day felt 100 hours long and completely lacked structure. I loved it.

• If you could share one lesser known fact about yourself to our readers, what will it be?

I started writing at the end of 2010, so I’ve only been doing this for about two years. If I seem to have no idea what I’m doing, that’s probably why.

• Weirdest thing you collect?

Is it weird to collect nothing? I don’t like to have things. My goal is to have the smallest possible number of things — which is hard to achieve with a four-year-old around, let me tell you.

Giveaway Details: Ruthie is giving away THREE e-copies of Naughty & Nice. Just tell Ruthie about your favorite family tradition around the holidays.

Comments
  • Alison December 14, 2012 at 11:14 am

Ruthie, as a kid growing up my favorite part of Christmas was in the afternoon, after presents but before dinner, when me and my sisters would lay about in our jammies and read our new books. At least, I assume that’s what they were doing. I don’t know for sure, I was reading at the time.

• Rebe December 14, 2012 at 12:12 pm

My favorite holiday tradition is having sparkling grape juice to “toast” Christmas Eve just before the parental units go to bed (they’re tee-totalers). After they’re in for the night, the siblings break out the wine and play board games.

• Texas Book Lover December 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Ruthie may have already read my tradition before over on her blog (at least I am pretty sure she asked this a while back). One of my favorite traditions is instead of everyone opening their gifts all at once, we take turns from youngest to oldest and wait for each other to finish. This allows us all to share the joy of the gift with each other and stretches the time out.

• LisaC December 14, 2012 at 10:37 pm

We go around town looking at all of the lights and decorations, then come home for Christmas cookies.

• Stacie Lee Hanson December 15, 2012 at 3:18 am

As a kid, and to this day, we drive around on Christmas Eve looking at all the pretty holiday lights. While we are gone Santa delivers our gifts and we open them when we get home. As a child I was told that the kids on the “extra nice” nice list got their presents early. This also helped to free Santa up to make all of his deliveries. It took me years to figure out why Mom always forgot something and had to run back into the house before we could go and look at the pretty houses!

• Readsalot81 December 16, 2012 at 2:18 pm

My favorite holiday tradition revolves around Christmas Eve. There’s a group of about 15-20 people packed into a pretty small house. Add little kids trying to take furtive peeks at the christmas gifts under the tree, crazed animals running around stealing food and you’ve got yourself a noisy holiday. We all eat a great meal, take a walk around the neighborhood looking at the xmas lights and finish off by playing music music & opening gifts. It’s a great night!

• KellyM December 17, 2012 at 4:20 pm

We started a tradtion a few years ago. Wine & food with my parents on Christmas Eve and a big Christmas breakfast the next morning.

• bn100 December 20, 2012 at 8:57 pm

We always decorate the tree together.

• Lynda the Guppy December 21, 2012 at 8:06 pm

OMG!!! I just discovered last night that YOU CREATED SHELDON! I LOVE Sheldon. I’ve been wanting to knit him since I first saw him.

• Denise Z December 28, 2012 at 12:18 am

My favorite holiday traditions revolve around good food and the preparation of the fun annual treats and of course eating them. BTW where can I send my order for the Mocha Pound Cake ;)