31 Wicked Days of Christmas With Carolyn Crane

• What is next for you book wise in 2013?

I’m working on a new sekrit series project, and my smutty alter ego, Annika Martin, is continuing her menage series about hot bank robbers. Also, I have a Carolyn Crane story in the follow-up to the Wild and Steamy anthology, Fire & Frost, which I’m doing with Meljean Brook and Jill Myles again.

• Do you have a favorite book of 2012?

I really loved Lothaire by Kresley Cole. I thought it was just wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. And hot!

• What is your favorite holiday food?

Mashed potatoes with gravy. I’m easy!! Oh wait…English Toffee!

• Least favorite holiday song?

I was going to say all of them, but then I thought, no, that is not good enough for Wicked Little Pixie, I must pick one. So I have just now forced myself to mentally review EVERY holiday song I know. A horrible whirl of them now running through my head, I can safely say it’s Frosty the Snowman. Thanks!! Hope you’re HAPPY!!!

• Do you have any holiday family traditions?

Here at the Crane house we have two very special ones. One is the ritual of coating the lower branches of the yuletide tree with Tabasco, so that the cats won’t chew on them and make themselves sick. Please imagine the fabulous smell of pine boughs…mixed with Tabasco sauce. It will really get you in the mood for the holidays. The other is the hanging of the kitteh ornament, an ugly quilted ornament, and we don’t mind if they tear it off the tree and chew it.

• Worst gift you ever received?

My parents went through a traveling phase where they would bring back Christmas ornaments from foreign lands that were so giant and heavy they were un-hangable on the Christmas tree. So, you just never knew what to do with them!

• Worst gift you ever gave?

I gave my sister these giant silver dolphin earrings one Christmas. You kind of had to see them. They were big as can lids. I don’t know what I was thinking.

• Favorite holiday memory?

As a kid, my favorite holiday memory is probably taking walks on Christmas day with my parents and sisters after all the madness and presents. I just remember it as a time of undistracted closeness.

• If you could share one lesser known fact about yourself to our readers, what will it be?

I am the world’s worst driver. I try really hard to drive well, too, but I am no good at it. I will go way out of my way to avoid highways, because of how I suck at merging, even if my trip takes twice as long.

• Weirdest thing you collect?

There was a whole fad in the early 1900’s of writers and philosophers studying bugs, like in their nearby woods, and writing detailed essays about all the stuff they saw the bugs doing and comparing them to humans, or debating things like, whether flies or bees are superior beings. I have a collection of such books and they are weird and funny. Yes, that is definitely the weirdest thing I collect.

My giveaway is a backlist choice – any one print book or any two ebooks  of Carolyn Crane or Annika, assuming I have them in the chosen format.

Comments
  • Sandyg265 December 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

We used to take walks on holidays with my Dad

• LisaC December 19, 2012 at 11:04 am

So not good at merging either. Public transit rules!

• Readsalot81 December 19, 2012 at 11:42 am

We take walks on Christmas Eve to look at all the crazy christmas decorations (and people seriously go ALL out) and that’s always fun. I’m not much of a highway gal myself. I leave *a lot* of room between me & the next car and people find that irritating, but boy has that saved me from being in a couple of accidents.

• Texas Book Lover December 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm

If you are a bad driver and avoid highways I hope you don’t live a major city. You would be in real trouble here in Dallas it is like one big highway!

Thanks so much!

• rissatoo December 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Mmm… tabasco tree. LOL! Made me think of The Oatmeal’s Sricha tree: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/christmas_tree

• Viki S. December 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I just want to say – mmmmmmmmmmmmm Lothaire :)

• JenM December 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Tabasco on the tree? That’s brilliant although I’ve got a sensitive nose, so I would have to stay out of the house the whole time the tree was up.

• erinf1 December 19, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Thanks for a fun post! LOL… your Christmases sound a lot more fine than mine! Luckily the pups leave the tree alone accept when they are wildly careening around the living room and one “bounces” off of it. So it’s on an table now.

• Chelsea B. December 19, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Thanks for the fun interview!! Tabasco… Haha! That cracked me up!

• Barbara Elness December 19, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I never thought of putting something on the tree to discourage the cats. I always either didn’t put up a tree, or placed a small one on a table high enough and with enough stuff around it that the cats couldn’t jump up onto the table.

• Rebe December 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

A friend sprayed her tree with vinegar, but I’m not sure how effective it was in deterring her cats. They’re pretty determined!

• bn100 December 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm

tobasco and pine…interesting smells

• LadyVampire December 21, 2012 at 3:32 am

I like the idea of Christmas walks. As a kid my father would drive our family along many side streets to look at all the Chirstmas displays and lights people put up. It’s a favorite tradition of mine.

• Aria December 23, 2012 at 10:53 am

I don’t mind merging…it is the whole left and right that throws me off ;-). Buffalo Wild Christmas Trees for all!!! Love this…made my morning!!

• Lesley D December 23, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for the interview! Using tabasco sauce is an interesting technique for keeping the cats away lol.

• Gwen December 24, 2012 at 10:07 am

My cat jumped into the Xmas tree and nocked it over once 6 years ago. It was a pain at the time but now I’m grateful it happened because she hasn’t touched a xmas tree since.If I could just stop her from stealing all the bowes off the presents everything would be great.Merry Christmas eberyone!