31 Wicked Days of Christmas With Dakota “HomeSlice” Cassidy

• What is next for you book wise in 2013?

I “think” it’ll be The Accidental Werewolf 2—Something About Harry. But I can’t make any promises because, well, I just can’t, okay? LOL!

• Do you have a favorite book of 2012?

Ride With Me by Ruthie Knox—most adorable book I’ve read in a long time. Simple, straight up contemp, no werewolves, vampires etc. Just flat out cute as a button!

• What is your favorite holiday food?

All of it. ALL. Of. IT. But gun to my head, probably lobster.

• Least favorite holiday song?

Daddy, Don’t Get Drunk On Christmas—or something like that. It’s dreadful and sad. Did I mention dreadful?

• Do you have any holiday family traditions?

The hubby and I always go to Santaland to see the light show they have—and we always do Christmas Eve dinner out somewhere.

• Worst gift you ever received?

A vacuum cleaner.

• Worst gift you ever gave?

Are you kidding me? I never give worst anything J

• Favorite holiday memory?

The year my sons were with their father in New ork and my husband (then boyfriend) took me to spend Christmas with his family in Michigan. There was snow, and it was cold like it should be on Christmas, and there was lots of food and family. It was joyous J

• If you could share one lesser known fact about yourself to our readers, what will it be?

I’m a total and utter sap. I watch every single Hallmark/Lifetime Christmas movie they put on, and I cry with almost all of them. I a big, whiny crybaby J

• Weirdest thing you collect?

I’m not much of a collector, I guess. Is it weird to collect shoes and makeup? My nail polish? Wait—what about potholders? I love pretty potholders. No? Spanx? Trust me when I tell you, I have a hundred pair of those. :)

Giveaway Details: Dakota will  name a secondary character after the random winner in the next accidental book! Just tell her one tip on surviving the holidays!

Comments
  • Lee December 20, 2012 at 9:09 am

One tip on surviving the holidays – wine! And cuddling with a loved one. :)

• Sandyg265 December 20, 2012 at 9:35 am

Take things as they come and don’t worry about things that you didn’t get to do.

• Ellie F December 20, 2012 at 9:41 am

Booze and lots of it. Keep drinking till everything’s festive and fun!

• Lily B December 20, 2012 at 10:35 am

Wine and chocolate mm the perfect way to survive the holidays :D

• CdnMrs December 20, 2012 at 11:13 am

Oh please! You totally need a character named Sara Horney!!! PLEASE!!
    I survive the holidays by sneaking naps in whenever I can.
    30 minute drive to the Sister in law’s? I’m sleeping in the car. 20 minutes before the turkey’s ready? I suddenly have to do something in another room.
    This can occasionally destroy hair and makeup, but I have learned to sleep sitting up and that seems to help.
    Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Bingo Bitchez!!!

• Dakota Cassidy December 20, 2012 at 11:58 am

LOLLOL@Sara Horney–you know, even if you don’t win, don’t be surprised if I use your name any old way!

• CdnMrs December 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm

YES! That would be the BEST. GIFT. EVAH!!!
      *fist pump*

• Heather Mitchell December 20, 2012 at 11:59 am

Make sure you have enough stuff to keep the kids entertained and please keep the animals away from the tree. One of my dogs peed under it.

• Robin K December 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I survive the holidays by focusing on my children and making them as happy as possible. The truly are the best gift I cold ever get. Happy Holidays Dakota and Natasha!

• Tamarra Daeva December 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm

family, friends, that special someone, cookies, and maybe a little wine. ;)

• MARK BOYER December 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm

How do I survive the holidays…..VODKA! MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF VODKA!
    SERIOUSLY, BEST ADVICE….THE DOG SAVES ME FROM KILLING PEOPLE. wHEN THE DISCUSSIONS GET HEATED OR I GET ANNOYED. I EITHER GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY WITH THE DOG OR TAKE HER FOR A WALK. (OR SETTLE ON THE FLOOR FOR A ROUND A NONSTOP KISSES FROM MY BABY GIRL)

• Pam R December 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Survive the holidays? I’ll get back to you on that one. OK I try to laugh and remember how lucky I am.

• Sewicked December 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Wrap all the presents in newspaper, using marker to write ‘to’ & ‘from’ and then have a wrapping party with everyone wrapping their own presents.

• Diane December 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Lots and lots of wine is one way to survive the holidays! :)

• Chastity Bush December 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I survive the holidays by remebering one thing…
    There are those who don’t have the opportunity to celebrate as my family does. Those without homes, food, beloningings.
    Appreciate everything, even the tiny little things to don’t seem like much at the time, but in the end are huge.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

• Dakota Cassidy December 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Yes–THIS!

• Janine December 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Wine, wine and more wine. Oh and don’t forget the chocolate.

• Teddi December 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm

No DC reader would ever knowingly give a bad gift. We are FABULOUS(said in the accent of Martin Short as a wedding planner). If you find yourself heading for a holiday meltdown just have a moment with Prince Valium, as he makes everything a little bit better!

• Ricardo December 29, 2012 at 7:49 am

KKLA Sports Apparel Co., Inc was established in 2000 in ZeJiang, China. Now it has 12 bacrnh companies around China. We are a worldwide wholesaler of Sports Apparel (Soccer Jersey,Football Jersey,baseball Jersey,Basketball Jersey,Icehockey Jersey). Our company consists of design, develop, produce, sale and service. Now we have more than 6 professional factories for our own products. Professional QC for professional products and service.You can mix NFL NFL MLB MLB NBA NHL Jerseysdifferent styles and sizes. And there is no mini order for you, Lowest price and Best service. Let’s be friends and business partner. Don’t hesitate to contact with us if you need anytime. We can supply those all NFL MLB NHL NBA Soccer Teams,such as NFL Teams: Buffalo Bills Jersey , Cincinnati Bengals Jersey ,Dallas Cowboys Jersey , Jacksonville Jaguars Jersey , New England Patriots Jersey, Oakland Raiders Jerse,Philadelphia Eagles Jersey , St. Louis Rams Jersey, Tennessee Titans Jersey ,NHL Teams :Anaheim Ducks Jersey , Colorado Avalanche Jersey , Detroit Red Wings Jersey , Florida Panthers Jersey ,Minnesota Wild Jersey ,New York Islanders Jersey , Pittsburgh Penguins Jersey ,Quebec Nordiques Jersey , Washington Capitals Jersey, NBA Teams: Charlotte Bobcats Jersey , Detroit Pistons Jersey , Los Angeles Lakers Jersey , New Orleans Hornets Jersey, Orlando Magic Jersey, Phoenix Suns Jersey ,San Antonio Spurs Jersey , Michael Jordan Jerseys Jersey ,MLB Teams: Atlanta Braves Jersey , Cincinnati Reds Jersey , Florida Marlins Jersey , Minesota Twins Jersey,New York Mets Jersey , San Diego Padres Jersey, Texas Rangers Jersey, Washington Nationals Jersey,Soccer Teams: Atletico Madrid Jersey , Juventus Jersey , Marseilles Jersey , Others Club Teams Jersey ,England Jersey ,Mexico Jersey and so on

• Katherine December 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm

If the girl scouts taught me anything its to be prepared. So, when suffering through the holidays I always make sure to have ear plugs, a first aid kit, something to distract wayward nieces and nephews, loads of alcohol, and a new book.

• Christine Dring December 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Stock. Up. On. Wine! Lots of it! LOL! Merry Christmas!

• Valerie Taveras December 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm

My one tip for surviving the holidays is (and I’m thinking for someone grumpy like Nina) is to spend as much time as possible with the pets or going on errands. This is great if you have some family your don’t like coming over or are stuck going to a party with a friend of significant other. Now if you don’t particularly care for pets or kids for that matter then…you’re ass’d out lol

• HollyD December 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I try to remind myself just how much I love my family. Even when they are driving me out of my mind. Trust me that “drive” to crazyville is getting shorter and shorter all the time.

• Jacki December 20, 2012 at 12:48 pm

In my family, full of ADD, ADHD, and Bi-polar members, I survive with alcohol and valium!

• BadBarb December 20, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hi Dakota and my surviving tip is to not panic. it is supposed to be a day to spend with your family not how much money you can or cannot spend on someone.

• Dakota Cassidy December 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Hugs, sweetie–that’s lovely!

• Andrea D December 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Patience is key. Don’t be in a hurry for anything (if at all possible).Keep the Crown Royal close, and reflect on the good things experienced throughout the year.

• Dakota Cassidy December 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Funny you should mention ze Crown Royal…. LOLLOL!

• Ellen Clampitt December 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I survive the holidays by looking at my animals. They make me smile every time I look at them no matter how stressful things get!

• SpoookyFochs December 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm

With memories of those who have crossed and remain a tender sweet reminder to make each day count. I would love to see the Accidental Ghost who is attached to Nina.

• Rebe December 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Booze and exercise (maybe together?). Seriously, nothing makes it easier to survive the in-laws than leaving the house – “I have to walk off that turkey!!!” My in-laws are sooooo impressed with my dedication to my workouts, lol.

• Vickie B December 20, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Hugging the young’n, hugging the honey, hugging the dog, a wee bit of eggnog….with some Makers Mark dribbled in….

• Betty Mileti December 20, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Wine, sweets, and hearing my daughter laugh!

• Caryn C December 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Wine! A helping hand from my hubby and my sister and more wine.

• Viki S. December 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Wine, cookies and books get me through this stressful time ;) .

• Elie December 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm

family in moderation. too much family BAD. too little family.. unacceptable. LOL teasing. LOVE my family (especially once everyone is drinking)

• Brittany Leigh December 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Over the years I have learned many things about holidays. One, the holidays are all about family…. no matter how messed up they may be! It is the precious time that you will miss when they are gone. Two, don’t stress yourself out. It is not worth it. Take a day just for you to get hair/nails done or get a massage. Always helps clear my head to prepare me for the craziness! LOL Last, if all else fails….. turn to alcohol :)

• Dakota Cassidy December 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Aw, you guys are awesome!Lots o’ great advice :)

• Jeanne Shaw December 20, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Rest. If something happens you can’t fix, don’t stress. Let it go. The holidays are stressful enough without agonizing over something over which you have no control. Smile (it makes everyone wonder what the Hell you’re thinking – and if you can make it an evil, cheesy grin, even better). Pet the doggies and try to relax and enjoy. If that fails, head north to MD, you can help me wrap, we’ll bake cookies and watch those cornball movies on Hallmark and Lifetime..and Christmas Vacation.

• Carla Coco December 20, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I survive the holidays by first enjoying my wedding anniversary on Christmas Eve with a bottle of bubbly and then enjoying all the days after that with hubby, sons, family and alcohol!!! The holidays are my favorite because it’s one of the few times the entire family can get together and enjoy each other. Spread the LOVE!

• Corinna Burtchell December 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Hmmmm how to survive the holidays…….xanax with a wine chaser ;) That way no one minds the lamp shade on your head or atleast you’re too “happy” to not care that they mind.

My sister had a friend that lived across the street (well she did a long time ago and her mom still lived there) and she knocked on the door with wine glass, pill bottle and cigarette in hand begging to use the backyard because she needed a “moment” from her family lol

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Dan December 20, 2012 at 7:44 pm

You know how I survive them: Learning to duck the bullets and dodge the mortar rounds….Thank Goodness I retired from the Army and don’t have to do that anymore! I guess now, I do it by ducking paper airplanes and dodging high school students! Seriously, The holidays are about making memories that, years from now, your kids can look back and say”You remember that time, during the holidays when…” Don’t sweat the small stuff, get out there and make great memories.

• flchen1 December 20, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Hugs, Dakota, and remembering what your true priorities are–it isn’t the outward trappings (presents, decorations, food, cards…). While those are lovely, Christmas is really about loving other people and making time to do things you enjoy with them. And possibly holding your tongue when you might not otherwise to occasionally keep the peace ;) Wishing you a joyful time of celebrating with those you love best!

• bn100 December 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm

having people help out with cooking the food

• Dakota Cassidy December 20, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Look at all of you! Thank you, thank you for showing up, lovelies–so appreciate you! Huge hugs and much holiday cheer, and thanks to Nat for having me!

• charmedangel December 20, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Bailey’s in coffee, any Hallmark movie, Comfort & Joy, The Holiday, more Bailey’s, a great book, and turning the Christmas tree lights on with candles glowing. If snow is falling, opening the curtains and watching it – and NOT having to shovel it :)

• LadyVampire December 21, 2012 at 3:26 am

Surviving the holidays takes skill. You need to smile when all you really want to do is whack someone over the head. Eat cookies and cakes to keep your strength up to endure everything being given out. Sneak some Jack Daniel’s in for some support when nessessary. And above all, have your secret signals worked out between you and the husband and kids so that you all can escape when the time is right and your at your wits end. ;)

• Janie McGaugh December 22, 2012 at 12:45 am

Go with the flow, and remember that all things will pass!

• Texas Book Lover December 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm

My advice…shop early or online and avoid the crowds. If you must go out keep lots of chocolate on hand preferably dark!

• Brenda H December 22, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Hey Dakota! Survive the holidays? Drink. A lot. Let’s see– take meds? No? Sleep a lot? No? What I do is take it day by day and if I have to skip some stuff then I do– and I remember to laugh with my kids:)

• blodeuedd December 23, 2012 at 10:13 am

Eat lots of chocolate ;=)